Poland’s Iga Swiatek could have failed so as to add the WTA Finals title to her French and US Open crowns however finishes the 12 months a dominant primary within the girls’s tennis rankings. The 21-year-old prolonged her factors benefit over world quantity two Ons Jabeur of Tunisia regardless of shedding to big-serving Belarus Aryna Sabalenka within the semi-finals in Texas final week. It’s the first time Swiatek has completed on prime of the 12 months finish rankings. Swiatek’s exceptional season included eight singles titles and a run of 37 straight match victories. Sabalenka ended her 15-match profitable streak in opposition to prime 10 gamers.
Swiatek’s path to the highest was eased by the shock retirement in March of Australia’s Ashleigh Barty, who completed primary from 2019-2021.
Sabalenka misplaced within the ultimate to France’s Caroline Garcia — who turned the second French girl to win the title following Amelie Mauresmo in 2005.
Each finalists within the WTA season-ender in Texas on Monday rise two locations — Garcia to fourth and Sabalenka to fifth.
WTA rankings (Russia and Belarus athletes not allowed to symbolize their nations due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine):
1. Iga Swiatek (POL) 11085 pts
2. Ons Jabeur (TUN) 5055
3. Jessica Pegula (USA) 4691
4. Caroline Garcia (FRA) 4375 (+2)
5. Aryna Sabalenka 3925 (+2)
6. Maria Sakkari (GRE) 3871 (-1)
7. Coco Gauff (USA) 3646 (-3)
8. Daria Kasatkina 3435
9. Veronika Kudermetova 2795
10. Simona Halep (ROM) 2661
11. Madison Keys (USA) 2417
12. Belinda Bencic (SUI) 2365 (+1)
13. Paula Badosa (ESP) 2363 (-1)
14. Danielle Collins (USA) 2292
15. Beatriz Haddad Maia (BRA) 2215
16. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 2097
17. Anett Kontaveit (EST) 2093
18. Jelena Ostapenko (LAT) 1986
19. Ekaterina Alexandrova 1910
20. Liudmila Samsonova 1910
(This story has not been edited by NDTV workers and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Matters talked about on this article